Tuesday 5 March 2013

Rehearsal #2 - Act One

I was very nervous for this rehearsal - it was my first experience of being a director. Me, in charge of actors, telling them what to do in order to get across a playwrights' words and intentions. Intimidating to say the least - my major obstacle I'm facing throughout this process is self-doubt. I don't see myself as authoratitive, have never thought myself as a theatrical creative, so suddenly wondered why on earth I'd decided to take control of an entire play.

The start of the rehearsal was rather shakey - one actor was half an hour late, and I wasn't sure how to begin the session. With only three characters involved in Act One, I couldn't think of a suitable workshop or warmup to do, nor did I have the confidence to take charge straight away. We spent the first half hour (whilst waiting for the other actor) looking through Abi's set designs and getting a bit of a feel for how the stage will be laid out. This did help me ease into the session, and I know that next week I'll be able to walk in with more confidence and awareness of what I'm doing. This is something I definitely need to work on - the reassurance of myself in the role of director, and an awareness of my ability.

The rehearsal went as well as I could have hoped. I'd planned to cover the first 33 pages - quite an ambitious feat, ending just a few pages shy of curtain down. Yet as soon as the actors stepped onto our minimally laid out space, I knew exactly where I wanted them and what I wanted them to do. Once they were in front of me, the script came alive and I could see it as the final production already. Straight away, I felt more able to direct them - I had no hesitations about stopping them mid-sentence and rearranging them, moving their heads, altering the emotions. And, what impressed me most, was that they responded and dutifully continued according to my direction. I know that is what an actor is supposed to do, but when presented with coursemates I'd had some reservations again about my authority. I needn't have worried as they're all working as professionals, and were able to take on board my directions without question.

We got through all 33 pages, and were even able to do a dry-run at the end of the session. Seeing my ideas combined with the beginnings of Abi's set was very encouraging; it worked, it flowed, and it had the emotional intensity that the script requires. The speedbump of my own doubt is almost cleared, and next week is set to be promising too.

No comments:

Post a Comment