Saturday 27 April 2013

Speedbump #2

Amazingly, this is only the 2nd issue that I've come across throughout this process - that is incredibly surprising, and not something I'm taking for granted. We've been very lucky with amazing cast and lots of good support.

Last night, one of our actresses got in touch saying she's unexpectedly had to return home for a series of hospital visits this coming week - we'd recently scheduled in two extra rehearsals to make sure everything's polished for the show in 10 days. This of course raises the issue of whether or not she'll be in a position to have memorised her lines and blocking, and the effect this may have on the production as a whole.

However, very quickly I'd decided that we would do whatever we could to accommodate her - whether that be allowing her to have a script in hand for the performance, find someone new, or just support her in her line-learning in a rather more intensive timeframe. At the end of the day, her health is paramount. If this were a professional production, it may call for a very speedy casting of an understudy; however, as a one-night-only assessment, I personally felt it unfair to put added pressure on her at this time. For me, I know that the rest of the cast will help work around it, and that this actress in particular is doing her best to minimise disruption. I can ask for no more as a director, particularly this late in the process.

I would never wish to be a director who my actors are intimidated of - this isn't a good working ethic, and I'd much rather be approachable and face problems head on than have to deal with unhappy people making rash decisions even further down the line. As such, I'm confident that not only will the actress do her utmost to maintain her commitment, but also that whatever the outcome, I'll have continued to learn along the way and how best to handle such situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment