Wednesday 8 May 2013

Dress Rehearsal

We only had time to run until the beginning of Act 3, however with the lighting all sorted, our amazing production crew on the ball and ready to go, the dress rehearsal went incredibly well.
They managed to pick up the pace a fair bit so we weren't over-running as much as we had in previous rehearsals, and my main notes were just small details. Both Abi and I commented that we were now at the point of being really picky with individual movements and tiny changes, rather than large alterations, as all the emotion and meaning was there.
I couldn't have been prouder for the work the actors and production crew have put in this week - it's because of them that we can say we have a show, and it's all come together in a way that I hadn't expected. There have been (so far) no major issues or technical hitches, our actress who may have needed a script has learnt all her lines and has done phenomenally well despite not rehearsing at all last week. All in all, the process has gone very well and I'm proud to say that we have a show.

It's just over an hour until it's curtain up in front of an audience, but I'm not worried. I'm excited and nervous to see it all finally come together, but I know that we've pulled it off, and I'm looking forward to seeing it afresh, without my notebook, so I can enjoy what we've done. According to Jon Whitmore, it is the director's role to "orchestrate and fashion infinitely complex and multifaceted performance experiences"(1) (1994: 206). Whilst Abi and I have been discussing throughout the production process what we would do had we more time, I strongly believe that over the course of three months, eight to ten rehearsals, and no budget, we have managed to produce a play that has meaning, integrity, and creativity. I sincerely hope this comes across to our audience.







(1) Whitmore, J. (1994), Directing Postmodern Theater: Shaping Signification in Performance, University of Michigan Press

No comments:

Post a Comment